When I was doing research for the piece I did on the movie Groundhog Day I started looking at other movies that came out in 1993. The list was very interesting and made me want to go through the list and re-live the movies of the year. So I decided I would go through various years in random order and give a line or two about the moves that stood out.
Best of the Best
If these are on, life stops
- The Fugitive – Might crack my all-time top 20. Infinitely re-watchable. Harrison Ford as his best.
- Groundhog Day – Might be the best comedy of the last 20 years. As I said, the end of an era.
- Rudy – As a Michigan fan, this is painful, but this movie is great. If you count partial viewings I bet I have seen this nearly 50 times.
- Dazed and Confused – 1970s high school kids celebrating summer. Iconic movie for a generation, but about their parent’s generation.
- In the Line of Fire – John Malkovich with a great performance.
These are movies that I like and still watch if the opportunity arises.
- Cool Runnings – “Some people say you know they can’t believe.”
- Dave – Not a big Kevin Kline or Signourney Weaver fan, but I like this movie.
- The Firm – Great twist. Tom Cruise before he was crazy.
- Grumpy Old Men – Matthau and Lemmon like no one else could pull off. Burgess Meredith is also hilarious.
- Jurassic Park – Cutting edge special effects at the time. Still scary when the Raptor pops through the ceiling.
- Mrs. Doubtfire – I am not a Robin Williams fan, but I have still seen this movie 10 times.
- Robin Hood: Men in Tights – It’s been a while since I have seen this, but I am sure I would get more of the jokes now.
- The Sandlot – Another childhood favorite that is on all the time.
- Wayne’s World 2 – Almost as good as the original.
- What’s Eating Gilbert Grape – DiCaprio spreads his wings. “Match in the gas tank, boom-boom.”
- Demolition Man – “Whats your boggle?” No seriously, not a Stallone fan, but this movie has it’s moments.
- Free Willy – Loved it as a kid, I am sure it doesn’t hold up.
- Rookie of the Year – See above.
- Weekend at Bernie’s II – I remember watching this on HBO when I was kid. It’s such a bad movie, and I have only seen the first one once.
List of Shame
Movies that I have not seen
- Indecent Proposal – One of the top 10 grossing movies of the year. Demi, Redford, Woody1.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas – Tim Burton’s best? Just not my thing.
- The Pelican Brief – I have this on my list of things to see.
- The Piano – Anna Paquin’s breakout role. I like her.
- Schindler’s List – On my DVR right now.
- Surf Ninjas – Kind of tongue-in-cheek because some guys at work love this movie.
- This Boy’s Life – Never even heard of this. DeNiro, DiCaprio, Barkin.
- Tombstone – Also on my list to see.
Other Films of Note
Films that jumped out at me or have significance that I haven’t seen or don’t have particularly strong feelings for
- Carlito’s Way – Not sure if this movie is any good, but DePalma, Pacino and Penn it must have got hype.
- Cliffhanger – Another Stallone, top 10 grosser.
- Coneheads – An SNL spinoff, tons of cameos.
- Gettysburg – Another movie on my DVR. Not sure if it’s any good.
- Last Action Hero – Arnold, in another movie I remember watching on HBO as a kid.
- Philadelphia – Hanks and Denzel. Enough said.
- The Program – Best college football movie ever?2
- Sleepless in Seattle – Classic romantic comedy.
- So I Married an Axe Murdered – Never saw it. Mike Myers. Remember being saying it was funny.