Normally this is the time for the college football preview for the week. But after news came down last night that ESPN had suspended Bill Simmons for three weeks for his criticism of Roger Goodell, it didn’t seem like a good time to be giving ESPN any sort of free publicity. The fact that Simmons has been suspended longer than the original suspensions of Ray Rice and Greg Hardy combined, just makes it even harder to swallow. Far be it from the “worldwide leader” to show any kind of journalism or integrity. Absolutely disgusting.
On that note, I am personally boycotting ESPN (except Grantland, Simmons’ website) until The Sports Guy is back on the air. With that in mind, I have turned to the wonderful LSU fansite LSUFootball.net to present the complete TV schedule of every game not on an ESPN network this week. If you have never checked out this football schedule, it is the ultimate source for what channel every single game is on. And since I scraped it directly from their site, make sure you check it out for all future weeks.
|DII: Missouri Western at Lindenwood||7:00 p.m.||CBSSN|
|UCLA at Arizona State||9:00 p.m.||FS1 / FOX Sports GO|
|Middle Tennessee at Old Dominion||7:00 p.m.||FS1 / FOX Sports GO|
|Army at Yale||11:00 a.m.||DTV: 608 / FCSA (cable)|
|Georgetown at Colgate||11:00 a.m.||(NESN+ / CSNC) *5 / ASN (.pdf affiliates) / PLN Video|
|Iowa at Purdue||11:00 a.m.||BTN / BTN2GO Video|
|Northwestern at Penn State||11:00 a.m.||BTN / BTN2GO Video|
|TCU at SMU||11:00 a.m.||CBSSN|
|UTEP at Kansas State||11:00 a.m.||FSN Affiliates / FOX Sports GO|
|Colorado State at Boston College||11:30 a.m.||FSN Affiliates / (ESPN-GP / espn3) *2 / FOX Sports GO / RSN|
|Maryland at Indiana||12:30 p.m.||BTN / BTN2GO Video|
|Arkansas vs. Texas A&M (Arlington)||2:30 p.m.||CBS / CBS Video|
|Florida International at UAB||2:30 p.m.||CSCA *5 / ASN (affiliates)|
|Northern Colorado at Montana||2:30 p.m.||RSNW / DTV: 101 / RSRM (jip at 3)|
|Western Kentucky at Navy||2:30 p.m.||CBSSN|
|Colorado at California||3:00 p.m.||PAC-12 Network (HD) / Pac-12 Video|
|Delaware at James Madison||3:00 p.m.||CSMA *5 / CSN (.pdf cable) / CAA Video1 or CAA Video2|
|Texas at Kansas||3:00 p.m.||FS1 / FOX Sports GO|
|Stanford at Washington||3:00 p.m.||FOX / FOX Sports GO|
|Tennessee Tech at Northern Iowa||4:00 p.m.||CSNCa / Panther Sports Network (cable)|
|Cincinnati at Ohio State||5:00 p.m.||BTN / BTN2GO Video|
|Boise State at Air Force||6:00 p.m.||CBSSN|
|Cal Poly at Northern Arizona||6:00 p.m.||FSAZ+ / FCSP (cable) / NAU-TV Video / Big Sky Video|
|Maine at Towson||6:00 p.m.||CSNE / CSMA / TCN-P (cable) / CAA Video|
|Rice at Southern Miss||6:00 p.m.||DTV: 608 / FCSA (cable) / FOX Sports GO|
|Samford at Chattanooga||6:00 p.m.||ALT2 / ASN (affiliates)|
|Memphis at Ole Miss||6:30 p.m.||FSN Affiliates / (ESPN-GP / espn3) *2 / FOX Sports GO|
|Baylor at Iowa State||7:00 p.m.||FOX / FOX Sports GO|
|Washington State at Utah||7:00 p.m.||PAC-12 Network (HD) / Pac-12 Video|
|Illinois at Nebraska||8:00 p.m.||BTN / BTN2GO Video|
|Nevada at San Jose State||9:30 p.m.||CBSSN|
A miserable week for college football gets no help from the ESPN boycott.
- Thursday night’s Pac–12 game between UCLA and Arizona St. looked a lot better a month ago, but still features two top 15 (AP) teams. So much so, that this might be the game of the week. It has the unfortunate problem of starting at 10 eastern, but it might be worth it to sacrifice sleep on Thursday because it’s all downhill from here.
- The 11 AM timeslot is left with just Big Ten Network games. Penn St. is knocking on the door of the top 25 (currently 27th), and hosts Northwestern, who is in a mighty downward spiral at the moment. A convincing win here almost surely lifts the recently sanctionless Nittany Lions into the top 25.
- Arkansas vs. Texas A&M on a neutral field is the only afternoon game worth acknowledging. The spread is only 9.5, which seems very low. Is this where Texas A&M gets exposed as not being a top 10 team, or where they vault into the top 5?
- The best way to stick it to ESPN is to turn into Western Kentucky vs. Navy at 2:30. Might be a fun game actually.
- Fox has a decent game at 3 PM when Stanford goes to Washington. Stanford has struggled a bit coming out of the chute, but they are coming off a bye with a chance to get back on the wagon. Washington has quietly gone 4–0 since they haven’t played anyone and snuck by Hawaii and Eastern Washington in the first two weeks. They are just outside the top 25 and could use this win to make a jump.
- Baylor at Iowa St. is a chance to potentially watch Iowa St. get undressed in their home stadium. Baylor is a quiet 3–0. Quiet because they haven’t beaten anyone. But they have also scored over 170 points in three games. 170!!! This is a chance for them to get some attention.
- Utah beat a bad Michigan team in Ann Arbor last week. A win against the mediocre Cougars could get them closer to the Top 25. They are a real sleeper in the Pac–12 south.